Donnerstag, 4. August 2011

Another Saddle, another Saddlefitter

Even though I tried not to get my hopes up it happend anyway and of course I ended up being a little disappointed.

The saddlefitter was a very nice girl. She seemed knowledgeable enough but somehow they all seem to be trained to not commit to a saddle too much.

She brought a fair number of saddles and put on a few. Mostly saddles I've tried before but also a few I always wanted to try (like a Passier Grand Gilbert, which was way too long for Crispin). The saddle I was most curious about was the "Sommer Passion" (stupid name). I've read a lot of good stuff about Sommer saddles. Good quality, nice to sit, very good to change (gullet and flocking) decent price (by no means cheap).

Sommer "Passion" 17,5 seat, 31,5 gullet;



We put the Sommer on an it didn't look too bad. I rode and it felt really nice. Only problem: the rear pannels seem to come up a little when there is no weight in the saddle (i.e. when I posted the trot) or when Crispin was streching (with me on the ground).

The fitter said that this wasn't too bad, not ideal of course but she also said  that Chrispin had no muscles there yet and where the saddle could rest on. I'm so not sure about that (not about the lack of muscles, he has none) but the rest of it.

She left the saddle and I can try it out for a few days. Check it on the lunge and maybe find someone to video me. I definitely need to think about it a litttel longer. *sigh*

7 Kommentare:

  1. Try a County. It's what fits mine.

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. I' did. Too long. I pretty much tired everything that is supposed to "usually" fit a cob (and that I could get my hands on). I'm not exactly in cob country here).

    I would like to try Harry Dabbs/Jaguar/Cobra and Niedersuess too. Couldn't get my hands on either of those yet.

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Neither am I. You need to contact a qualified fitter that is familiar with those brands, not just a dealer. I would be royally teed at someone who brought a saddle to me and left it knowing that it bridged.

    Any fitter should be able to modify the panel length for a short back. I've found that you have to have them swept upward to fit a cob's back.

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. The qualfied fitters were my first choice and I've tried a lot of them. Unfortunately, most of the really good ones in my area don't sell anymore, apart from their own custom brands (prices: 3500 Euro and up). They will however fit saddles but not sell used or off the rack anymore.

    The girl that left the Sommer saddle IS a qualified fitter too (and by far not the worst I've had out).

    The problem is that they basically all sell the same saddles and none of them fit Crispin.

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. Have you asked them about a demo sale?

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. I also have a cob of a similar build. He's not broken yet but I've recently taught a few people with horses built like this (no wither, big shoulder, wide, short backed) who've been riding in a Black Country saddle. I had a sit in one on a haflinger/arab cross and it was lovely. May be worth looking into?

    AntwortenLöschen
  7. @remotecoach,

    Thank you for your input.

    Black Country has been recommended to me before and while I do think the saddles could be a good choice the fact that there are no dealers or distributors here in Germany makes it impossible to try them and I'm not quite ready yet to go long distance.

    I have another fitter coming out next week who has been working with english companies before and I do plan to ask hin about BC.

    Good luck and fun working with you cob in the future.

    AntwortenLöschen