Sonntag, 24. Juni 2012

Lame.

Just when I had scheduled the appointment for the final fitting of the new saddle, Crispin came up lame. Really lame. About a 3-4 on the scale. *sigh*

He was already better the day I got the vet out (about two days after). Maybe a solid 3. Unfortunately the vet I would have liked to come out was on vacation, so I had to make do with another one. She couldn't really find anything, but thought that maybe his left pastern seemed a little warm. She gave us some bute and said he had to be 100% in 5 days or I would have to call her back for a more thorough exam and  x-rays.

I though the pain was in the hoof. I though I felt a pulse and had hoped for an abscess but she said no, no sensitvity of the sole. Hmm, like I said, not my favourite vet.

Of course he was still off 5 days later. Down to a 1-2 maybe, with apparent lameness turning left. So, I called the vet out for x-rays (this time the "good" vet).

We did a lameness exam with flexions (no reaction there), next to nothing on soft ground, a little lameness on pavement and obvious lameness in turns to the left (he's off on the left front). So, we're back to the hoof again.

The vet took x-rays of the hoof and came up with a concussion of the coffin bone. He'd expected a fissure but thankfully it seems to be neither a fissure nor fracture but still it's 6-8 weeks of no riding. Crispin is allowed to go out on single turn on a smaller pasture, but other than that it's stall rest on soft footing for at least 6 weeks.

 The scale:

  • 0) Lameness not perceptible under any circumstances.
  • 1) Lameness is difficult to observe and is not consistently apparent, regardless of circumstances.
  • 2) Lameness is difficult to observe at a walk or when trotting in a straight line but consistently apparent under certain circumstances.
  • 3) Lameness is consistently observable at a trot under all circumstances.
  • 4) Lameness is obvious at a walk.
  • 5) Lameness produces minimal weightbearing in motion and/or at rest or a complete inability to move.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen