Montag, 18. Oktober 2010

First BIG vet bill *sigh*

At least It took a little over a year before it came to this. Crispin's first big vet bill is coming my way.

I don't know If I have mentioned this on here before. A while ago Crispin started to get little swellings just above his knees on his front legs. Little bruises it looked like. I figured they were self-inflicted. He seems to hit his knees in the feeding stall. No other horse seems to have that issue, it's just him, he seems to be just the right size. It got worse with the flies over the summer. I guess every time he pulled up his front legs to shake off flies he hit his knees.

There was never lameness, heat or tenderness. I treated the bruises with Compagel without much success. 
One swelling stayed small and even went away over time the other became bigger and during the last 3-4 weeks really big. It looked like a big jucy orange all squishy and soft. Still no pain or lamness but of course I became worried and scheduled an appointment with the vet for x-rays and ultra sound.


Good news, it really is only a bruise just under the skin. The bad news, it won't just go away by itself.

So, two days ago I packed up Crispin and left for the Clinic next door. It almost broke my heart to leave him there. He looked so incredulous when I left him there in one of the tiny box stalls and didn't take him back home.

They cut open and drained the bruise. All went well so far and now Crispin is recovering. I was very glad to see that he seemed quite happy and contend when I went to visit yesterday. He's wrapped up to the chin and has to stay a few more days until he can come home. Hopefully he'll recover nice and quick without any complications so I can take im back home soon.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen