Sonntag, 5. Juni 2011

...going treeless...

Not something I've ever expected me to do (or something I'd consider longterm) but it seems like a good idea for now: I went treeless with Crispin.

A friend at the barn has a horse that has a very short and curvy back and after trying many saddles she decided to go treeless with this horse. She bought a "Torsion" treeless saddle and is still very happy with this choice today (the horse in question has some health issues and is only ridden very lightly). She offered to let me borrow her saddle now and then.

About a month ago I signed up to ride with a trainer that only comes in once a month. I'd hoped I'd have a saddle by now, but that obviously was wishful thinking. So, what to do now? Ride with the slightly pinching, slightly too long jumping saddle or don't ride at all? For one thing, I really don't want to use (and have not used for a long time) the jumping saddle. On the other hand, I really, really, really want to take this lesson on monday.

I decided to give the treeless saddle a chance. It fits Crispin (well, basically it's a bareback pad with stirrups, so why shouldn't it) it doesn't pinch, it doesn't slip, it's comfortable to sit. I've ridden in it twice so far and Crispin seemed happy with it. Of course I will eat dirt if he decides to act up because there is nothing on the saddle to help me help hold on, and there is also nothing on this saddle to keep the pressure off Crispins vertebrae (the main issues I have with treeless saddles) but I'm also sure that I will immensley enjoy the lesson on monday in this saddle.

I keep you posted...

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen