Freitag, 19. November 2010

Update on the knee

Well, it is different this time. Hard to tell if it worked or not (and I really hope it did/will work!).

On monday Crispin was miserable. He was in a lot of pain, would hardly put any weight on the leg and ran a pretty high temperature. I talked to the vet and put him one bute. Thankfully he was much, MUCH better the next day. No fever anymore and almost no lameness. On tuesday the vet came out to pull the drainage. The wound looked infected and there was a little pus. Vet said that, since we were aimimg for infection, this much infection was ok but it should not get any worse. He put Crispin on antibiotics.

From now on I'm on my own. I'm supposed to change the bandage whenever it needs changing which is about every other day.

Thursday was the first day I had to do a bandage change. I was very nervous about it. Not because of the bandage but because of Crispin. The Vet had to sedate him both times he worked on him and so had the dentist last week. After the fuss he had made with the leeches I was really worried that he would start to put up a fight and that the fighting would get worse with every time I'd have to do a bandage change.

I made plans to have a friend out at the barn to help me but started out to try alone first (I wanted to at least get the old bandage of by myself). He started to be fussy at first, tying to get a way not holding still,  until he knocked over my box with grooming suplies (which didn't really stand anywhere near him). The crash scared him so much that he decided from that moment on to be a perfect little boy and he let me change the dressing without any more trouble. He got lots of praise for that of course. What a good boy. I was so relieved! I hope the changing of the dressing will not be a problem anymore. It would be horrible if I had to fight with him over this every other day.

The wound looked OK. The vet had told me to open up the cut and to try and drain the swelling. So I did or tried to. The cut looked healed but I could open it by pulling the sides apart, thanks to a little bit of pus left. There was some swelling but not the kind I could drain by massaging the fluid out of it. So, things are definitely different this time, that's for sure. I just really, really hope that it is the right kind of different.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen