Mittwoch, 29. Dezember 2010

Back on Track

I think we're finally back on track. After not working Crispin for months and then retraining him during the last few weeks, I feel like we are finally progressing to new things.

I wasn't sure if or what kind of training aid to use on the lunge. Quite a while ago I had tried side reins for about two seconds, awful! So I started to think. Maybe vienna reins, maybe something else. I was intrigued by the pessoa system. Quite a contraption. I did a search on the net saw a few videos of it used on youtube and bought it online for 30€.

It took Crispin quite a while to get used to the part that runs around his haunches. I think I had to hand walk him while he was wearing it about 5 times before I could even think about lunging him in it. Once he got used to the part around his haunches it was very easy to introduce him to the rest. To be honest it also took me a while to figure out how to handle the thing, too.

I have lunged him in it twice now and I think I really like it!  The version I'm using is the cheep one from Harry's Horse. The aid is very light and everything is in motion in a good way. The horse can't lean on it but is also doesn't become too loose. There is always a slight contact to the bit. Crispin seemed to be comfortable with it from the start. The aid seems to lead the horse into the chosen position without pulling it into it.


The picture isn't the best. It was too dark in the indoor. He went better when I was not trying to handle pony, lunge and whip in one and the camera withe the other hand. ;-)

What else is there to report?! Oh, yes. Snow. We are having tons of snow! And I, of course have tons of pictures of Crispin in the snow!

At first, the best thing about snow: white feet! It is ridiculous but I just adore Crispin's clean white hooves. Usually they are never this clean.


And one or two just for fun. Crispin and the gang molesting a log. Poor things, they never get enough food!


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen